The Renewable Energy Surcharge (EEG Surcharge) for 2015 will be reduced by 1.1% to 6.17 ct/kWh from 6.24 ct/kWh in 2014, the transmission system operators (TSOs) announced today. However, it looks like the underlying core EEG surcharge will increase by 17% from 5.146 ct/kWh to about 6 ct/kWh. Total EEG surcharge payments are estimated to be 21.8 billion EUR.
Full details of the calculation of the 2015 EEG surcharge have not yet been published, and we therefore cannot yet fully analyze where the reduction is coming from.
When looking at the 2015 figures, it should be kept in mind that the 2014 EEG surcharge of 6.24 ct/kWh was composed of 5.146 ct/kWh of core EEG surcharge (used for the actual transfer payments), 0.512 ct/kWh to build the 10% liquidity reserve (Section 3(7) AusglMechV) and 0.581 ct/kWh of deficit cover based on the negative balance of the EEG account as of 30 September 2013 (as the EEG surcharge in previous years did not cover the EEG spending).
Based on data from today’s press release, it looks as if the underlying core EEG surcharge will increase from 5.146 ct/kWh in 2014 to about 6 ct/kWh in 2015, which would mean a planned 17% increase in EEG transfer payments for 2015. Actual costs of the EEG surcharge system are calculated to be EUR 21.1 billion for 2015. The press release also mentions a liquidity reserve of EUR 2.1 billion. As the 2013 EEG account deficit has meanwhile been covered, the 2015 EEG surcharge calculation presumable no longer includes the 0.581 ct/kWh deficit cover included in the 2014 EEG surcharge. While full details are not yet available, the press release indicates that the positive amount currently in the EEG account leads to a reduction of 0.4 ct/kWh in the 2015 total of 6.17 ct/kWh.
Out of the 6.17 ct/kWh for 2015, about 2.7 ct/ kWh shall cover PV, 1.6 ct/kW biomass, 1.2 ct/kWh wind onshore and 0.5 ct/kWh wind offshore.
- EUR 125 Million September Deficit on Renewable Surcharge Account – Yet 1.4 Billion Surplus Before Upcoming 2015 EEG Surcharge Announcement
- EUR 442 Million August Profit on Renewable Surcharge Account – 1 Billion EEG 2014 Cost Reduction between July and August?
- Textile Company Lodges Constitutional Complaint Against Renewables Surcharge
- BGH: EEG Surcharge Not Unconstitutional
- German Renewables Surcharge Increases by 19% to 6.24 ct/kWh in 2014
- Renewable Surcharge for 2013 Rises by Almost 47% to 5.277 ct/kWh
- 2012 EEG Surcharge Increases Slightly to 3.592 ct/kWh
- 72% Increase in EEG Renewable Energy Reallocation Charges for 2011