EPEX Spot reported record volumes for its day-ahead and intraday markets in August, coming in at 8% above 2013 year-on-year.
EPEX Spot SE is the operator of the power spot markets for Germany, France, Austria and Switzerland. The total volume of 31.1 TWh traded on EPEX Spot’s day-ahead and intraday markets in August 2014 was the highest August volume ever recorded.
The following diagrams show the development of the trading volume in August 2013 and August 2014, for the day-ahead and the íntraday markets.
Some observations :
- The monthly volume in all three areas (Germany/Austria, France, Switzerland) has increased.
- The biggest day-ahead increase took place in France, amounting to 25% (from 4,525,800 to 5,664462 MWh).
- The rise in day-ahead volume in Germany/Austria and Switzerland is lower in comparison (ca. 2.9% and 4.5%).
- For intraday Germany/Austria and Switzerland, the monthly volume grew by 28%/27% respectively.
- Monthly intraday volume in France decreased from 175,299 MWh to 131,621 MWh.
- The total volume of 31,1 TWh traded on Epex Spot in August 2014 was an increase of 8% compared to last year.
In August, cross-border trades represented 16.1% of the total intraday volume.
15-minute contracts on the German and Swiss intraday markets reached an all-time high at 487,807 MWh, representing 20.9% of the volume traded on the German and Swiss intraday markets.
Source: EPEX Spot SE
- Joint BNetzA and EPEX Spot Conference on Exchange Trading of EEG Electricity
- Six European Power Exchanges agree on setting up European Cross-border Solution for Intraday Trading
- Day-ahead Wholesale Electricity Markets in North-Western Europe Coupled and South-Western Europe Synchronised
- Creating a Secure and Undistorted European Energy Market – Bird & Bird Conference on 4 February 2014 in Brussels