The four transmission system operators only averaged 27.63 EUR/MWh in June for the sale of renewable energy at the European Energy Exchange. This low figures supports the view that the renewable surcharge on the electricity prices for German consumers (EEG surcharge) will again rise in 2014.
The renewable surcharge for 2013 amounts to 5.277 ct/kWh (plus 19% VAT), a little less than twice the amount of the sales revenue per kWh in June. According to latest estimates the EEG surcharge could rise to up to 6.5 ct/kWh.
In June 2013, the TSOs received EUR 178,361,672.24 for 6,455 GWh of electricity from renewable sources. In the same period, they paid out EUR 2,165,722,277.11 for feed-in tarriffs, related premiums and certain transfers.
The latest marketing results for renewable energy have also led to the account balancing the sales revenue and expenses dipping further into the reds. The EEG account started into the year with a minus of EUR 2,691,166,648.46, as last year’s EEG surcharge did not cover all expenses. For 2013, the EEG surcharge increased by 47% to 5.277 ct/kWh. However, the increased EEG surcharge rate only led to a reduction to EUR -385,273,688.86 at the end of April.
Since May, the deficit is increasing again, amounting to EUR -899,545,706.68 in June. Compared with the deficit in June 2012 (EUR -224,227,352.25), this doesn’t bode well for the EEG surcharge for 2014, which will be announced in October 2014 by the TSOs.
Source: EEG-KWK.net (information on renewable energy sold at the EEX; EEG account)
- Chancellor Merkel Outlines Key Aspects of Reform of Renewable Energy Sources Act
- No EEG Revision Before Federal Elections in September?
- No Immediate EEG Revision – Agreement on Grid Expansion Acceleration
- Chancellor Merkel Discusses Energy Policy Shift with Associations and Ministries
- Renewables Conference Hosted by BMU Discusses Renewables Growth, Scenarios and Costs
- Minister Altmaier: EEG Cuts Needed – or Energiewende Costs Will Reach Trillion Euro Mark by 2040
- Economics and Environmental Ministers Jointly Propose EEG Amendment and Long-term Overhaul
- Economics Minister Rösler Calls for Binding Direct Marketing Obligation for Solar and Wind Power
- Energy (Price) Policy Positions Slowly Emerging Before Upcoming Elections
- Rösler Calls for EEG Reform Before Elections, Altmaier Proposes Amendment to Limit Electricity Price
- Renewable Surcharge for 2013 Rises by Almost 47% to 5.277 ct/kWh
- 2012 EEG Surcharge Increases Slightly to 3.592 ct/kWh
- 72% Increase in EEG Renewable Energy Reallocation Charges for 2011