With 435.275 MWp of new solar capacity eligible for payments pursuant to the Renewable Energy Sources Act (EEG) in November 2012, Germany installed 7.274 GWp in the first 11 months of 2012. December figures may show another solar record – despite the political corridor of 2.5 to 3.5 GWp for this year.
Up until November 2012 new solar capacity receiving feed-in tariffs amount to 7,274.04 MWp, and overall solar capacity in Germany eligible under the EEG amounts to 32,059 MWp, according to the latest figures by the Federal Network Agency (BNetzA).
The overall figure is massive, as is the total for 2012 up until November, indicating that Germany’s year end figures may show another solar record in 2012. It has been clear for quite some time that the official political corridor of 2,500 and 3,500 MWp per calendar year for additional photovoltaic installations (cf. Section 20a para. 1 EEG) introduced with the 2012 amendment of the EEG has been exceeded dramatically.
To recall: 2010 brought about 7,400 MWp and 2011 about 7,500 MWp of new capacity. At this rate the 52 GW cap laid down in Section 20b para. 9a EEG could be reached in 2015. Said provision stipulates that feed-in tariff payments according to Section 32 EEG will not be paid for new installations that start operating the following calendar month.
Based on the information published by BNetzA, the November 2012 capacity additions lead to the following table of German PV capacity eligible for financial support pursuant to the EEG for 2012:
|End of 2008||6,120,000|
|End of 2009||9,921,572|
|End of 2010||17,299,250|
|End of 2011||24,784,484|
The November figures are still in line with the 2012 total of 32,467 MWp assumed by the TSOs in their October calculation of the 47% EEG surcharge increase for 2013. However, it remains to be seen how correct the TSO are with their assumption that 2013 will bring 6,508 MWp of new solar capacity.
Source: Federal Network Agency
- Almost 612 MWp of New Solar Capacity in October 2012
- BNetzA Announces 2.5% Degression of Solar Feed-in Tariffs for November to January
- German feed-in tariffs 2012
- Reduced German solar feed-in tariffs
- EEG Clearing Agency Advises on Grandfathering Clause for Solar Feed-in Tariffs
- EEG Amendment Cutting Solar Tariffs Promulgated
- Bundesrat Clears Reduced German Solar Feed-in Tariffs
- 2.3 GWp of Newly Installed German PV Capacity by End of April 2012
- Bundestag Approved Mediation Committee Compromises for Solar FIT Reduction and CCS Bill
- Mediation Committee Compromise for Solar Feed-in Tariff Reduction
- Solar Feed-in Tariffs Cuts For 1 July 2012 If No New Agreement Will be Reached
- Still No Agreement in Mediation Committee with Respect to Solar Feed-In Cuts, Energy-Efficient Renovation and CCS
- Federal Council Stops Solar Feed-in Tariff Cuts and Invokes Mediation Committee
- Parliament Approves EEG Amendment Cutting Solar Feed-in Tariffs
- Bundestag and Bundesrat to Vote on Solar Feed-in Tariff Cuts 29/30 March – Latest Changes
- Bundestag Debates Implementation of Energiewende – Solar Feed-in Tariff Cut Timetable
- First Parliamentary Readings of EEG Amendment Cutting Solar Feed-in Tariffs and Amendment of KWKG
- Federal Cabinet Approves Solar Feed-in Tariff Cuts