In July 543.225 MWp of new PV capacity have been installed, the Federal Network Agency (BNetzA) reported. German PV capacity in total amounted to 29.7 GWp by the end of July, with 4,916.647 MWp added this year.
The total of 29,701 MWp of PV capacity consists of 23,581 MWp added between 1 January 2009 and 31 July 2012 and 6,120 MWp installed before 1 January 2009, BNetzA informed.
The July additions mean that the staggering solar growth of the previous years continues. The expansion corridor of 2,500 to 3,500 MW per calendar year pursuant to the new Section 20a para. 1 Renewable Energy Sources Act (EEG) that was introduced with latest EEG amendment, has been well exceeded. The amendment seems to have contributed to the continuing growth. It reduced solar feed-in tariffs mainly as of 1 April 2012, but provided for certain grandfathering provisions, the last of which (for plants on conversion areas) will run out on 30 September 2012 (see Section 66 para. 18a sent. 2 EEG).
The rapid solar growth will lead to a further increase of the monthly reduction of the feed-in tariffs for solar power of 1% that began in May 2012 (see new Section 20b para. 1 EEG) as of 1 November 2012. Section 20b paras. 2 to 9 provide for a so-called breathing cap, according to which the monthly feed-in tariff reduction may increase or be reduced if certain thresholds are exceeded. The new hard cap of 52,000 MW may be reached sooner than anticipated.
Source: Federal Network Agency
- EEG Amendment Cutting Solar Tariffs Promulgated
- About 2.050 GWp of Newly Installed PV Capacity in May and June 2012
- New Record for Renewable Energies in Germany
- German Solar Power Generation 14.7 TWh in First Half of 2012 – 50 % Increase
- BDEW: Solar Growth Continues Unabated – More Than 4 Billion kWh of Electricity Generated in May
- Bundesrat Clears Reduced German Solar Feed-in Tariffs
- 2.3 GWp of Newly Installed German PV Capacity by End of April 2012
- Bundestag Approved Mediation Committee Compromises for Solar FIT Reduction and CCS Bill
- Mediation Committee Compromise for Solar Feed-in Tariff Reduction
- Solar Feed-in Tariffs Cuts For 1 July 2012 If No New Agreement Will be Reached
- Still No Agreement in Mediation Committee with Respect to Solar Feed-In Cuts, Energy-Efficient Renovation and CCS
- 26.6 GW PV Capacity at End of Q1 2012 – More Than 22 GW Solar Generation on 25/26 May
- Federal Council Stops Solar Feed-in Tariff Cuts and Invokes Mediation Committee
- BNetzA: About 650 MW in New German PV Capacity in January and February 2012
- Parliament Approves EEG Amendment Cutting Solar Feed-in Tariffs
- Bundestag and Bundesrat to Vote on Solar Feed-in Tariff Cuts 29/30 March – Latest Changes
- Bundestag Debates Implementation of Energiewende – Solar Feed-in Tariff Cut Timetable
- First Parliamentary Readings of EEG Amendment Cutting Solar Feed-in Tariffs and Amendment of KWKG
- Federal Cabinet Approves Solar Feed-in Tariff Cuts
- BMWi and BMU Reach Agreement Regarding Solar Feed-in Tariff Cuts and EU Energy-Efficiency Directive